Thursday, June 24, 2010

So at present I am back in London for another 40 hours or so.

I will update on the big Naxos road trip of 2010 once I have all my photos uploaded and whatnot.

The last four or five nights we were on Naxos, the Galanado (village) taverna was serving dinner! Needless to say this was a wonderful surprise, as evenings at the taverna are a big part of what I reminisce about when I think of summers on Naxos.

Although the "our age" crowd still hadn't arrived for the summer, the atmosphere there is just great. Katherine and I were able to interact a lot more with the children, as well as the mom, in the evenings than we had been able to before. Though, sadly, no photos of the children were taken. Taverna mom seemed to be giving us free fries and wine at an even higher rate than past years, and by the time we left I think Katherine and I had gotten our fill of Greek food for the near future.

Yesterday Katherine and I got into Athens around 4 and it was raining...first time on the trip. The Athens streets apparently double as slip and slides. Dirty, dirty slip and slides. I slipped four times over the course of our journey to the hotel—which involved a trek up a massive set of stairs. Luckily, the stairs meant that it was on the top of a hill with a pretty awesome view. From our room we could see a park through one window, and through the other we had a few of a residential area and behind it a mountain/cliff with a church on top of it (of course).

We walked around a bit, the hotel neighborhood was really cool, close to the center but simultaneously off the beaten path. In the city center, everything was going as usual, but we passed several cops with riot shields... it was pretty surreal.

Anyway, now I am in London with Kaitlyn! I'll be home so soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment