Sunday, May 16, 2010

Berlin!

Okay, this is my long overdue post. The last stop of my Spring break journey before my extended stay in Poland, was Berlin. Prepare for a subpar entry as my memory is waning, as well as my patience for writing about things that happened over a month ago.

The first time I went to Berlin was three years ago, and I had wished my stay had been longer than two and a half days. This time around I spent another three and a half days there, and the appeal of the city had not faded. It's hard to really explain why, but I could see myself living there (if I spoke German, of course). Berlin isn't glamourous, like Paris, but it just seems mellow and a place one can actually live. It's big enough, without being hectic and tiring (and overrun by tourists!). 

Maeve being an Ausfahrt upon our arrival to Berlin.

I found certain parts of Berlin to be oddly utopian looking, I'm not sure if this photo really captures it. 

Maeve, Christine and I went on a free walking tour that was much like the free bike tour I went on with the ladies three years back. Though most of the information was familiar, the tour was just as enjoyable the second time around.

The Reichstag

Berliner Dom

Shmaif and I

NYPD Party Police-Berlin: fighting crime with a gun in one hand and a latte in the other.

The Berlin Wall



One night we went to a really great German restaurant, my meal:

We also went to a jazz bar, the music was good but the audience was being super uptight about us whispering (really, quite inaudibly) to each other. Never mind the fact that the same people giving us dirty looks were later committing similar crimes!

Maeve and Christine left a day before I did, and I switched hostels to be in the same one as my friend Shayna, who was traveling with people from her study abroad group. I'm glad I didn't leave after only two days! And... the weather was lovely.


Donezo.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the blog! If you want to keep up with your languages online or on your iPhone a good service is Babbel.com (http://www.babbel.com). Bon Voyage!

    ReplyDelete