Monday, October 12, 2009

What a day, what a day.

I am not sure how I have made it through this day, it has been an epic shitstorm. But hey, I am still alive! Presently jobless, soon to be homeless and trying not to let it get to me (but failing).

I started the day with a job interview (I shall return to this later). If I get the job, you will hear more about it and if not then we shall never speak of this again, you hear me?

Actually, backtrack, I started the day on the tube (subway). On the tube on the way to the interview I realized that I was having a hard time breathing. Impeding asthma attack? I wondered to myself.
To those of you not familiar with my medical history, I do not have Asthma—at least not to my knowledge. Nor have I ever had trouble breathing. Let me tell you, the tube is the last place you want to be when you think you're possibly going to die. And yes, at the time death seemed entirely plausible. I contemplated making an announcement, does anyone have an asthma inhaler!? but then I thought about how it would probably taste gross (as I hear they generally do). Then I got out of the train, inhaled some fresh air, and was fine.

After the interview I went to lunch with my friend Hannah. I have not yet mentioned her on this here official blog, but in short, Hannah is my sole UCL ally (a fellow American). Together, we conquer the plethora of sandwich shops around UCL by day, and by night we attempt to make friends with strangers which has thus far been a failed mission. But we are resilient and shall not be deterred by unfriendly Brits oh so easily!

That was a bit of a digression. After lunch I had class (yes, since my last post I have become a student!). The person I am currently living with at my godmother's is dealing with personal issues at the moment and therefore I have been looking for an alternative place to stay and I had found one a few days ago. So, after class I went to go sign a lease on the room—or so I thought. Turns out, the landlord was a pretty big  a******, I won't get into detail; the search continues. Afterwords, my uncle and I got wonton soup and spring rolls to celebrate our defeat.

Then I returned home. Waiting in the hallway was the only good thing about this day:

A package from Amanda! (You see that, mom? Step up your game).

I was convinced that my fate had turned around.

Waiting in my inbox, however, were two emails from my potential employer. One saying "good luck in your future endeavors" and the other saying "congrats!" followed by a date for a follow-up interview.

Um, what?

Since when did I become a cast member of Curb Your Enthusiasm? After contemplating for twenty minutes whether I should send an email saying "wtf" or just pretending I had never gotten a rejection email, I decided to go with the latter option. If you are going to make a major HR faux pas like that then you are also going to reconsider me!

I had originally planned to come home, eat dinner and do reading for my classes. This day, however, requires some good ol' TV and eating candy in bed. I had been planning to update my blog tonight; unfortunately the day's happenings have left me void of the energy required to write about anything else beyond this day—which I will from this moment on pretend never occurred.
Bite me, October 12th.
I promise I will update again very soon with a much more positive spin on my lifespan and the universe in general, though I figured you all deserve to hear not only my sugar coated London escapades, but my tales of woe as well.

Thanks to Amanda, at least my collection of wool socks is growing. These have llamas on them! ...or are they alpacas? You decide!

2 comments:

  1. oh.. well then I take back my LJ comment.
    I like you thinking on the job- totally stick with the positive email!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know, i found myself laughing at this entry. at first i thought it might be because i enjoy when others are down in the dumps, but i later realized it was just because you are a damn funny writer. i tried to make your day super gr8! haha kind of punn

    ReplyDelete