Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sun is in the sky, oh why, oh why, would I wanna be anywhere else?

Given that I went to bed at 8am "last night" and woke up at 2pm today, I feel as though this has been a fairly productive day thus far (note, I've been up for a little bit under four hours). It was actually sunny and warm today (a high of 50°F!), the first time it's been this nice since I've been back, so I decided to go on a long, lovely walk around London. I think I can safely say I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (with the hilarious acronym of SAD). According to Wikipedia, "The US National Library of Medicine notes that 'some people experience a serious mood change when the seasons change. They may sleep too much, have little energy, and crave sweets and starchy foods.'" I know that in actuality, the SAD description applies to basically every human being on earth, but my winter lifestyle patterns are much more similar to those of bears than those of humans. 


In any event, with no particular route in mind, I decided to make my way towards the Thames river. According to google maps, it was about a 6 mile walk in total. 
My Route:



View of my dorm from Wren Street



Grey's Inn Road, the old and the new



While walking through Russell Square, I passed a man feeding a Squirrel which climbed up his leg to get the nut from him (pause). I was quite shocked by the boldness of said squirrel, and after the initial bafflement, I attempted to document this occurrence. Unfortunately, it was too late. I made note of this event as not to forget to mention that there are really bizarre squirrels here in England. Then later, while I was walking along St. James park, an old lady was feeding a squirrel and it did the same thing! WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?


I just thought this was pretty, and the sun was so bright today!



I passed a lot cliché London sights.


The London Eye and Big Ben from a distance.



London Eye



Westminster Bridge



It was right around the time that I took the above picture, that I spotted an attractive bearded man. As I stared a bit I realized it was, in fact, teen heartthrob Robert Pattinson (the star of Twilight, duh). I did not take his picture, but I did stare a bit. While I have never really been a fan, I did end up swooning a bit.
Moving on...
Big Ben



Buckingham Palace from Afar








Being back in London has been really good so far. I am feeling really optimistic, and happy to be here. Of course, this may be the weather talking! I had a fun (though unproductive, as usual) weekend. Thursday night I went with Hannah and Miranda to a hipster dance party (kind of intense) which resulted in my shoes looking like this:



And last night we went to a nearby college-hangout pub where I ended up watching the Saints game and dancing to pop-rap. Made me slightly NOLA-sick, and while I am sad to be missing DJ Pauly D from Jerz Shore perform at the Boot, catching glimpses of the Real World cast, and seeing Simon and Garfunkel at JazzFest, there will be plenty of things to look forward to when I get back. For now, I am trying to concentrate on enjoying myself to the fullest here. Not to mention, Katherine will be here tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your effort to provide photos to go along with your text. Glad that you're optimistic about your final semester in London. I'm surprised you even own such boots. Your dorm looks really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. when i got to this part:

    While walking through Russell Square, I passed a man feeding a Squirrel which climbed up his leg to get the nut from him (pause).

    i started laughing and banging on the table. hahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete